Monday, June 13, 2011

101 years

My great grandpa, E. Poe Young, was born on February 4, 1909. Today, 101 years later, he passed away.

Yes, it's always sad when someone you love passes away. But besides the fact that he is now gone, I can't help but think about how amazing it is that he lived on this earth for 101 years.

Papa Young lived a long, blessed life. He was married to his wife for 73 years, until she passed away. He had one son, two grandchildren, and six great grand children whom he got to know well while he lived. He was county clerk of our town for many years.

One thing I forgot to mention though, is that Papa Young became blind for several years before he passed on. Other than that, he remained in good health for the majority of his life, even when he was very old. It really just amazes me.

Papa didn't have to suffer long as a lot of older folks do before they die, and for that I am very thankful. He inspires me so much; I can remember ever since I was a little girl that he always said he wanted to live to be 100.. And he did.

I hope to live a long, wonderful life just as Papa Young did. I thank God that I got to know him for 16 years of my life, because most people don't get that much time with their great grandparents. I truly believe that he wouldn't want us to mourn over his death, but rather celebrate the 101 years of wonderful life he experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment